The GSS, CUPE 4163 and Faculty of Graduate Studies jointly funded travel grants program. Forms are submitted to the Faculty of Graduate Studies.
The Graduate Students’ Society, with the support of the Faculty of Graduate Studies, established a special travel grant to assist graduate students in distance programs. The objective of the fund is to support students in financial need to attend the on-campus residential workshops that are the requirement of many distance education graduate programs. The application is announced annually in the late Spring.
The GSS Department Grant is available for academic or social events organized by and for graduate students.
Each department can apply for up to $500 per fiscal year. (The GSS financial/fiscal year begins in April and ends in March).
If the granting funds available are not expended by December 31, departments may apply for an additional $200 in funding.
Grants are used to offset the cost of a graduate student-organized activity, publication or event that would benefit students in your department. Applications must be signed by your department’s GSS Graduate Representative Council Representative as well as three students in your department. Applications are submitted to the GSS General Office.
You will need a description of how the funds will be used, and a budget for the event.
Grants must be used for events that are free and accessible to graduate students.
We ask that the GSS is credited for the grant. We are happy to help promote your activity through our website and email bulletin.
Typical activities that receive department grants are:
- bringing a speaker to campus
- hosting colloquia, conference, or exhibit where students present their work
- social gatherings or writing retreats
- publishing a journal
Grants will not be approved if they:
- are used for events where graduate students pay an entrance fee,
- will be used to provide resources the university should be supplying,
- are used to complete course requirements,
- will be used to purchase alcohol,
- will exclude students through an inaccessible location, or
- are for activities that have already happened.
Our goal is to help your department obtain these funds. Please ask for assistance and advice on your grant application, by contacting the GSS Executive Director at gssmgr[at]uvic.ca.