Each department can apply for up to $300 per fiscal year. (The GSS financial/fiscal year begins in April and ends in March).
If the granting funds available are not expended by December 31, departments may apply for an additional $200 in funding.
Grants are used to offset the cost of a graduate student-organized activity, publication or event that would benefit students in your department. Applications must be signed by your department’s GSS Graduate Representative Council Representative as well as three students in your department. Applications are submitted to the GSS General Office.
You will need a description of how the funds will be used, and a budget for the event.
Grants must be used for events that are free and accessible to graduate students.
The department must have an elected GSS grad rep to apply as the rep is responsible for allocating any unused funds and ensuring there are no duplicate or competing applications from a single department.
We ask that the GSS is credited for the grant. We are happy to help promote your activity through our website and email bulletin.
Typical activities that receive department grants are:
- bringing a speaker to campus
- hosting colloquia, conference, or exhibit where students present their work
- social gatherings or writing retreats
- publishing a journal
Grants will not be approved if they:
- are used for events where graduate students pay an entrance fee,
- will be used to provide resources the university should be supplying,
- are used to complete course requirements,
- will be used to purchase alcohol,
- will exclude students through an inaccessible location, or
- are for activities that have already happened.
Our goal is to help your department obtain these funds. Please ask for assistance and advice on your grant application, by contacting the GSS Executive Director at gssmgr[at]uvic.ca.