Travel – Information for the Extended Health and Dental Insurance Plan

All graduate students that plan on traveling out of province or out of country will have emergency medical coverage under the GSS Extended Health Plan. 

If you plan on departing Canada for your travel, please review and regularly monitor information on all travel advisories issued by the Government of Canada prior to departure for your destination.  If you are a Canadian citizen and are planning on traveling outside of Canada, then register as a Canadian Abroad in case of emergency and response.  This can help connect you to Canadian embassies and consulates.

All students are advised to request a copy of your BC MSP Account Confirmation prior to departure.  Please obtain a copy of your BC MSP Account confirmation prior to your departure to border exit, entry, and visa purposes when traveling abroad.

The GSS Extended Health Plan includes up to 60 days of out of country emergency medical coverage.

You need to maintain your basic medical coverage, BC MSP or equivalent, for the duration of your trip.  Please obtain a copy of your BC MSP Account confirmation prior to your departure to border exit, entry, and visa purposes.

While travelling make sure to carry with you your insurance card and a Medi-Assist brochure with the phone number(s) to call in case of an illness or emergency.

If you are travelling for leisure (or non-school related travel) beyond 60 days, the GSS has negotiated a 20% discount on Blue Cross travel insurance packages for our members.  For more information about individual Plans for travel for leisure, call (604-419-2000, press 1) or email ( and let them know that you are a member of the Graduate Students’ Society at the University Of Victoria (policy: 43222).  

If you will be travelling for more than 60 days and your reason for travel is for academic purposes, you must contact the Health and Dental Plan Coordinator at at least two (2) weeks before leaving to arrange to extend the limit of the out of country emergency medical coverage and to obtain your travel insurance coverage letter.

If you require a coverage letter for a travel visa, you must contact the Health and Dental Coordinator with at least two (2) weeks’ notice before your visa appointment for processing.  Ensure you have enough time prior to visa submission deadlines to allow the GSS to process your request.

Follow the steps according to the University Of Victoria:

All graduate students must maintain their BC MSP or equivalence for the duration of their trip.  If their trip exceeds six (6) months, please contact BC MSP for more information regarding maintaining your coverage. 

In your email you must include the following:

  • Legal first name
  • Legal last name
  • UVic Student Number
  • Date of Departure from Canada
  • Location(s):
  • Estimated date of Return to Canada
  • Confirmation that you will maintain BC MSP or other Canadian government basic medical services plan coverage.