Hello GSS Members and colleagues,
I am writing to provide an update on the 2022-23 GSS Executive Board Elections. Please note that the nomination period closed Tuesday, February 22 at 4:00pm and all nomination have now been verified. We have received the following candidates:
Director of Communications – Nicole Kent
Director of Finance – Robert Bickley
Director of Student Affairs – Nahid Pourdolat Safari
Director of Services – Wyatt Maddox
Thank you to all our candidates for their interest in the Board and their continued leadership and volunteerism for all graduate students at UVic!
As you will see above, the GSS has no contested elections this term. Therefore, in compliance with Bylaw 4.11 (below), we will be ratifying our candidates at the Semi Annual General Meeting on March 22, 2022 from 5-7pm PST. We strongly encourage all our members to attend the SAGM and ratify our new Board.
There was one board position that did not receive any nominations: Chair.
Because no nominations were received, we are proceeding under our Bylaw 4.12 (below) and calling for nominees to stand for election to Chair at the Semi-Annual General Meeting (SAGM) on Tuesday, March 22, 2022! Interested candidates should email Chris their candidacy statement by Monday, March 21 and/or present themselves as a nominee at the SAGM.
Why should YOU run for the Board Chair? This position serves many functions at the GSS. The Chair is the primary spokesperson for our organization. They are the Board’s leader and help set the tone and workflow for all GSS advocacy. They have a direct line of communication with many UVic leaders to address issues impacting graduate students. If you have or want to develop your skillsets in any of the areas below, we encourage you to consider nominating yourself to this vital role:
- Volunteer and Project Management
- University and Government Advocacy
- Strategic Planning
- Public Speaking/Media Relations
- University and Non-Profit Policy Development
Join our team of student leaders and make a difference in your campus community today!
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- 4.10 Acclamations:
- When a nominee runs unopposed, the acclamation shall be approved through an ordinary resolution of Grad Council or a General Meeting.
- 4.11 In the event that no nomination is received for an Executive Board position during the electoral nomination procedures as outlined in Bylaws 4.1 through 4.10, the following elections procedures will be followed:
- a. The Electoral Officer will issue a call for candidates for any Executive Board positions for which there is no nominee. The call for candidates will be issued via electronic message to all members of the Society and a poster-format notice sent to each academic unit stipulating the process as outlined in Bylaw 4.11.b.
- b. Candidates can nominate themselves at the Semi-Annual General Meeting or submit a written statement of candidacy to the Electoral Officer at least one day prior to the Semi-Annual General Meeting.
- c. If a position is contested, all Society members present at the meeting will vote by secret ballot to decide the winner.
- d. If the position is not contested, all Society members present will vote by secret ballot to acclaim the candidate.
- e. Bylaw 4.11 shall only be enacted in cases where one (1) weeks’ notice can be provided before the Semi-Annual General Meeting.